Monday, February 23, 2015

What to Expect at Truck Stop Showers

Before I started this job, I had no idea what it would be like to shower at truck stops. In fact, the whole idea was so disturbing to me that I simply DIDN'T think about it.  I mean, what normal person not driving a truck or not even planning to drive a truck would bother to wonder what truck stop showers are like?

If I did happen to devote 10 seconds to the thought, images of dirty high school shower rooms, prison showers (or, as I imagined how they'd be), smelly communal college or gym showers. You get the picture. Basically, the stuff of nightmares!

"OK," I told myself, "Maybe it won't be THAT bad!"

I remember my very first shower when Richie and I were with our trainer. I was given a receipt with a PIN code and you input the code using the key pad next to the shower door you've been assigned to and WOWEE! A whole private room to myself, complete with toilet, sink, huge walk in shower, clean towels and bench! It was nicer than the nicest hotel shower! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. So THIS is what truck stop showers look like!!!

Just to give you an idea of how swanky they can be, here is truck stop shower photo that I've been lucky enough to use.



Two years on, I've experienced varying degrees of 'niceness' in showers but even the most disappointing of shower rooms was still a million miles away from the nightmarish images I had before starting the job.

Unlike 'normal folk', who take their daily shower in the morning for granted, Richie and I don't have the opportunity to shower daily. So when we do shower, it's an Event. We really take our time and treat it almost as a spa experience! Now, instead of rushing through the chore of a shower like I used to when I lived in the 'real world', I look forward to my next one and plan what toiletries I'll be using.

The contents of my bag changes with each shower. Since being on the truck, I've come to adore scents and for me, shower time is a way to try them out. I therefore have a bunch of soaps, shower gels and body lotions and I don't use the same one twice in a row, preferring to rotate everything. Some things, however, remain the same until I'm done with the product.

Here's a look at what's in my shower bag for the shower I had today!



OK, first confessed time. I have a teeny weeny obsession with Body Shop. I love pretty much everything they make and if I had a limitless gift card, I'd just buy one of everything!

From the left, there is a Satsuma shower gel with scrubby bits in it and next to that is a Satsuma lotion, both from the Body Shop. To me, they smell so citrusy and amazing!

Next is my face wash, from CeraVe, and it lasts forever.

In front of CeraVe is Body Shop Vitamin E face moisturizer. My face tends to get oily and this is nice and light and has a pleasant mild scent.

Next is Aveeno shaving gel which smells slightly of marzipan. I use a Gilette Venus razor but there's a basic Venus blade on it. I had been using the Venus Embrace ones but as they're super expensive, I thought I'd try the more inexpensive basic ones. Bad idea! With the Embrace blades, one could last me for weeks. With these basic ones, I get nicked with a fresh blade! An example of the old saying 'you get what you pay for'. I'll definitely be going back to the Venus Embrace once I'm out of blades.

Next is my Secret gel deodorant and Herbal Essences lotion for preventing frizz. During winter, my hair gets so much static and so this helps.

Next is Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner in Moroccan My Shine. I think these smell absolutely fantastic and the scent can linger in my hair for days!

Finally, though it's not exactly in my shower bag, is my COFFEE! After all, I think it's so luxurious to take my time with a shower while at the same time having a cup of delicious coffee to sip from! Today's coffee is Columbian.

Once a week, I also use a facial mask and deep treatment hair conditioner but today was not that day.

Do you have a favorite truck stop shower? What products do you love using? Please let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy.
    מקלחון

    ReplyDelete