Thursday, February 26, 2015

2 Ways to Have EGGS AND BACON on the Truck

I'm the kind of person who's fascinated with those tiny, minute aspects of people's lives. Take breakfast for example. What do all cultures of people around the world eat for breakfast? What did my grandparents eat for breakfast during WWII? What did people eat during Charles Dickens' time? During Jane Austen's time? What did you have for breakfast this morning? I just can't get enough of stuff like that.

So I suppose that it's only natural that I'd be wondering what truck drivers eat for breakfast!  Do most of them buy it at a truck stop or fast food restaurant each day?  Do they go to a restaurant mainly? Do they have on-the-go stuff like granola bars, or do they eat cereal? Or do they have something else entirely, or even nothing at all?

While I don't have the answers (though I'd love to do a poll if I was so inclined!), one thing I do know is what we two truck drivers eat for breakfast! Therefore I'm going to share with you one breakfast that can easily be eaten while driving, and one breakfast that can be cooked in a 12-volt truckers stove.

In case you're not familiar with a truckers stove, it looks like an old fashioned lunch pail. Inside is ceramic that heats to 300 degrees F. We use the Roadpro brand which can be bought at any Pilot or Flying J, and unlike most of their other products, these stoves seem to last and last. We have had the same two stoves for two years now. They look like they've been through the wars but they work perfectly!

Before I go into it, I should just mention that when we're on the truck, we try to stay away from added sugar and all refined and starchy carbohydrates.  Therefore, we do eat more fat to compensate. We've been eating this way for about a month and a half and so far we're both thrilled how much better we feel and I've even gone down a jeans size.

Breakfast 1: The Bag O' Breakfast



This is my daily breakfast which I prepare before getting to bed the night before. I wake up at 5:30am and start my shift at 6am, so I neither have the time nor desire for food before my shift begins. I love this breakfast because I can easily eat it without distraction while I'm driving and it keeps me going for hours. There are no crumbs and it's not at all messy.

What my Bag O' Breakfast consists of is 2 boiled eggs, 2 bite sized chunks of cheese (the ones in the photo are havarti, but I like cheddar too) and 2 strips of cooked Oscar Mayer bacon which I tear in half to make 4 smaller pieces (making it easier to shove the whole piece in my mouth). All of that goes into a Ziploc bag.

All of these foods (including the precooked eggs) are from WalMart.

Breakfast 2: Eggs n Bacon

This is Richie's breakfast of champions. He wakes up around 3pm and doesn't start his shift until 6pm, so he has the time to cook himself a hot breakfast each day.

First, he lines the stove with foil, adds some olive oil and preheats the stove for 10 minutes. Then he cracks 3 eggs into the stove.



He leaves the eggs to cook between 8-10 minutes (depending on how runny he wants the yolks). About halfway through, he adds a few slices of the Oscar Mayer cooked bacon so they can heat up. Finally, he slides it all onto a plate, adds salt, pepper and hot sauce, and devours it before you can blink twice.



Well, there you have it! I'll be sharing more of the kinds of meals we eat on the truck in future posts. 

1 comment: